Native rice is better adapted to local climatic conditions and tolerant to poor soils and harsh weather, making it one of the most ecologically sound food choices in a changing environment.
Mapillai Samba Rice:
Mappillai Samba is a native variety of rice grown in Tamil Nadu that's well suited to organic farming because it is hardy and demands little or no fertilizers or pesticides. The origins of its name can be found in Tamil folklore which has it that traditionally, on his wedding day, a bridegroom (mappillai) was required to lift a heavy rock as a show of his strength and virility. To help boost his energy before the task, this rice was cooked and fed to the new son-in-law.
Along with other native varieties of rice,mappillai samba has all but disappeared from our farms and markets, making way instead for highly processed, nutritionally inferior white rice.
Mappillai Samba can be cooked as plain rice, ground into flour or made into idli, dosa, upma and pongal. It is high in fiber and associated with a host of health benefits:
- Aids digestion
- Heals stomach and mouth ulcers
- Improves immunity and stamina
- Strengthens muscles and nerves
- Supplies instant energy to the body
- Increases hemoglobin content
- Good for diabetics since it is has a low Glycemic Index.
Here's a recipe for crisp mappillai samba dosas.
What you will need
- 1 cup of mappillai samba rice*
- 1/4 cup of unhulled black urad dal
- 10 fenugreek seeds.
- Soak the mappillai samba rice for 4 hours.
- Separately, soak the black urad dal and fenugreek seeds for 2 hours.
- Grind them together, adding a little water to get the right consistency.
- Set the batter aside and let it ferment for 8 hours.
- Use a cast iron tawa to prepare crisp, dosas and serve with a chutney of your choice.
Click Here for Idly Dosa
Mappillai Samba Rice Idli Dosa Recipes in Tamil (English Subtitles)
| Bridegroom’s Samba Idli Dosa
Click Here for Idiyappam
Mappillai Samba Rice Idiyappam in Tamil (English Subtitles)
| Bridegroom’s Samba Rice String Hoppers
Click Here for Arisi Maavu
Mappillai Samba Arisi Maavu Preparation in Tamil (English Subtitles)
| Bridegroom’s Samba Rice Flour
*I bought the traditional rice from Millet Mart of Madurai Meenakshi Millets in Madurai.